Companies in the oil and gas industry have some tough goals to meet. There is a constant pressure to minimize costs, maximize safety, and ensure a consistent supply of the petroleum products used in almost every other industry on Earth. Whether you’re refining raw petroleum, shipping oil and gas to end users, manufacturing plastic, or managing a depot full of fuel tanks, RastracGo can help!
What is RastracGo? How can it help you? Read on to discover the benefits of using personal tracking solutions for oil and gas companies.
What is RastracGo?
RastracGo is a personal tracking device that can provide accurate location virtually anywhere via cell phone data, GPS, or Wi-Fi. It can be set to send out updates once a day, every half hour, or even every five minutes, depending on whether you want to emphasize battery life or accuracy of location data.
Built-in accelerometers, temperature sensors, and pressure sensors can help to provide more data on the assets (or personnel) being tracked with the RastracGo. A small, keychain-sized mobile design makes it easy to carry for oil and gas workers in the field or to hide on valuable assets.
Depending on the update frequency the device is set to, a RastracGo tracking device can last anywhere between two weeks and four months on a single battery charge.
Uses of RastracGo in the Oil and Gas Industry
What are some applications of these small tracking devices for the oil and gas industry? Some potential applications include:
- Tracking Oil and Gas Workers in the Field. Some companies in the oil and gas industry might need to send teams of workers out to perform pipeline/equipment maintenance, deliver fuel tanks, or answer service calls. Using personal tracking devices allows oil and gas companies to monitor their workers in the field to verify that they’re adhering to their schedule as closely as possible.
- Preventing Asset Theft. Oil and gas assets, like tanker trucks, oil barrels, and other equipment, can be high-value targets for thieves. This is especially true at any time when the price of gasoline increases or oil and gas products are in short supply. With small portable tracking devices, you can track the location of your assets and fuel shipments—increasing the chances of recovering stolen items before they’re gone forever.
- Enforcing Work Start/Stop Times. When do employees show up for their shift? Are they arriving in a timely manner for the start of work, or are they milking the clock? With a tracking device, you don’t have to wonder. You can set up a geofence around the worksite and see exactly when a RastracGo device crosses the threshold to verify when employees arrive to work.
Benefits of Personal Tracking Devices
How do personal tracking devices help oil and gas companies? Some of the potential benefits include:
- Reducing Losses from Theft. With GPS location data, companies can find lost or stolen assets quickly and forward the data to law enforcement agencies to improve the odds of recovery. Simply knowing that any one of your assets may carry a hidden location tracker can help to deter would-be thieves from taking action in the first place.
- Improving Operational Efficiency. Being able to verify where employees are at all times can be incredibly useful for schedule enforcement. By keeping workers in the field on-task, you can significantly improve operational efficiency—preventing unauthorized detours, unscheduled breaks, and other activities that waste time and reduce productivity.
- Increasing Employee Safety. With built-in accelerometers, humidity sensors, temperature sensors, and GPS tracking, RastracGo makes it possible to track employee behaviors and environmental conditions in great detail. Using this information, you can make adjustments that help to increase employee safety. For example, improving ventilation in hot and humid work areas to reduce strain on employees, or warning employees about bad driving habits such as rapid acceleration and hard braking that could cause an accident.
Because of the small form factor of the RastracGo device, an employee could easily carry it on their keychain or in their wallet without difficulty. When combined with Rastrac’s live tracking software, the RastracGo can be an ideal solution for oil and gas companies.
However, it isn’t the only solution. There are many more tracking devices that can be used to monitor oil and gas fleets that can fill different niches within the industry. With the right tools at your disposal, how much could you improve your company’s operations?